Summer Child, His Child
"I assure you" He said, "unless you are converted and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, who ever humbles himself like this child--this one is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one child like this in My name welcomes Me.....
But whoever causes the downfall of one of these little ones who believe in Me-- it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were drowned in the depth of the sea...
Woe to the world because of offense. For offense must come, but woe to that man by whom offense comes....
Matthew 18:3-7
If you ask me what scripture provokes thought and a challenge, it is the above portion. It is so layered to me. And it keeps showing itself to me.... I was reviewing the scripture through the new Bible study we are doing and read notes from almost a year ago, where I noted forgetting what it meant to be child like... that I couldn't remember what it was like to be a child..... and that I am the child in that scripture regardless of my chronological age..... I am His child....
The memory of being a child, that keeps coming to me is when our family went camping at Assateague Island, I remember dancing on the shore, like the little girl in the picture. At that time, a parent could allow their child to adventure out and play, knowing the boundaries that were given, I would go explore the shore. I remember how free I felt.... probably why it is the place I go as an adult and find that freedom....
In the everyday, I have forgot the freedom of relying on someone to take care of the details, I have controled the details as an adult, or at least I think I do.... and because of that, the child like freedom and security feels so far away....
This weekend I went to North Carolina for my nieces bridal shower, the evening prior, I was helping my sister in law to prepare the food for the event. The kitchen was full with movement and preparation. Her niece, who is around 5,asked if she could help. I smiled and thought absolutely. I held the chopper, I talked her through what to do. I held the body of the chopper and instructed her how to push down, She tried but it was difficult for her. She asked me if she should pull a chair up, I told her yes, it would give her a better angle. She pulled it up and was able to hit it harder, at first it wasn't successful, I showed her again and then she was able to accomplish it. When I started on something else that required a knife, I knew the knife wasn't very sharp and I again showed her how and would hold the vegetable and she would cut. I would prepare it for her to cut what I knew she could handle. When I started with a sharper knife, I explained to her why I couldn't give this one to her, that I didn't want her to hurt herself. But I would sneak her bites of what I was cutting and that seemed to please her. It made my heart smile to see her contentment and her smile. To see that desire to learn and want to help from her.
I began thinking how this is how God is with us, He knows what we can handle with guidance and Him holding on, allowing us to take an action, but He also knows what parts are too difficult for us and He has to prepare the way for us to take a step. He also knows what is beyond our ability and He has to take the steps and we simply get to nibble on the fruit.
This time filled my heart because she was having fun working at a task, how we must make God feel the same when we become the child and allow Him to work with us, through us and for us in a task....
I think the lie of us having to be in control or even thinking we are in control steals the freedom in our relationship with God..... Jesus's words provoke that area in me... We like to grab the knife and carve out the details.... we take action in the areas that we think we have control.... that we think we mastered.... we take His place in the guiding and allowing.... In doing so we lose the peace in the situation and worry creeps in.... anxiety overtakes....
Peace only happens when I listen to Him telling me that I can handle the situation with Him guiding, making the way.... and at times, simply letting Him doing the cutting and I am simply enjoying the product of His efforts. Greatness comes in simply being His child.
The verse continues on to explain what keeps us from being childlike with Him, We have all had individuals in our life that have been our downfall spiritually.... who have offended us. We have been the downfall and have committed the offense to hurt someone else in their walk with Christ.
I think we see being child like in this world a weakness.... and anyone who is attempting to be, we judge and are critical of what they are doing. We cheer on those who we see being self sufficient and in control but beat up and destroy those who are really trying to be HIS child.... We promote self sufficiency like a god and in the process forget the GOD who is really in control. We criticize and harm through our actions and words..... but He says it is better for us to tie a millstone around our neck and drowned in the depth of the sea then offend or be the downfall of a child.
I think we reason that out with thinking that the child mentioned in this verse is really a child, though it is a child in age, it is also a child in HIM. I am His child. You are too!
Watching the kids this weekend play and enjoy being a kid in the summer time with swimming, riding bikes and even helping the grown ups in the task at hand touched my heart. They were happy and free. They knew the boundaries and even when they had the desire to cross the boundaries, they listened to the ones instructing them that this wasn't what was best for them. They remained within them and laughter heard was the evidence in the happiness and freedom they felt. For me, it served as a reminder to me that freedom is found in being HIS kid, even when not understood by the masses that true freedom is from HIM. Listening to HIM in the actions, and know that when He sets a boundary that it isn't to keep me from something better but it is what is best for me.....
I want to be that little girl again, dancing in the waves of the ocean and feeling the sun and wind dancing on my skin, feeling the most alive in doing the dancing.... and living in the freedom of being HIS child.... regardless if understood by the world.... but finding being HIS child is where true living is found.... It is my prayer and my goal..... and may HE help me and may I listen as child does....
But whoever causes the downfall of one of these little ones who believe in Me-- it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were drowned in the depth of the sea...
Woe to the world because of offense. For offense must come, but woe to that man by whom offense comes....
Matthew 18:3-7
If you ask me what scripture provokes thought and a challenge, it is the above portion. It is so layered to me. And it keeps showing itself to me.... I was reviewing the scripture through the new Bible study we are doing and read notes from almost a year ago, where I noted forgetting what it meant to be child like... that I couldn't remember what it was like to be a child..... and that I am the child in that scripture regardless of my chronological age..... I am His child....
The memory of being a child, that keeps coming to me is when our family went camping at Assateague Island, I remember dancing on the shore, like the little girl in the picture. At that time, a parent could allow their child to adventure out and play, knowing the boundaries that were given, I would go explore the shore. I remember how free I felt.... probably why it is the place I go as an adult and find that freedom....
In the everyday, I have forgot the freedom of relying on someone to take care of the details, I have controled the details as an adult, or at least I think I do.... and because of that, the child like freedom and security feels so far away....
This weekend I went to North Carolina for my nieces bridal shower, the evening prior, I was helping my sister in law to prepare the food for the event. The kitchen was full with movement and preparation. Her niece, who is around 5,asked if she could help. I smiled and thought absolutely. I held the chopper, I talked her through what to do. I held the body of the chopper and instructed her how to push down, She tried but it was difficult for her. She asked me if she should pull a chair up, I told her yes, it would give her a better angle. She pulled it up and was able to hit it harder, at first it wasn't successful, I showed her again and then she was able to accomplish it. When I started on something else that required a knife, I knew the knife wasn't very sharp and I again showed her how and would hold the vegetable and she would cut. I would prepare it for her to cut what I knew she could handle. When I started with a sharper knife, I explained to her why I couldn't give this one to her, that I didn't want her to hurt herself. But I would sneak her bites of what I was cutting and that seemed to please her. It made my heart smile to see her contentment and her smile. To see that desire to learn and want to help from her.
I began thinking how this is how God is with us, He knows what we can handle with guidance and Him holding on, allowing us to take an action, but He also knows what parts are too difficult for us and He has to prepare the way for us to take a step. He also knows what is beyond our ability and He has to take the steps and we simply get to nibble on the fruit.
This time filled my heart because she was having fun working at a task, how we must make God feel the same when we become the child and allow Him to work with us, through us and for us in a task....
I think the lie of us having to be in control or even thinking we are in control steals the freedom in our relationship with God..... Jesus's words provoke that area in me... We like to grab the knife and carve out the details.... we take action in the areas that we think we have control.... that we think we mastered.... we take His place in the guiding and allowing.... In doing so we lose the peace in the situation and worry creeps in.... anxiety overtakes....
Peace only happens when I listen to Him telling me that I can handle the situation with Him guiding, making the way.... and at times, simply letting Him doing the cutting and I am simply enjoying the product of His efforts. Greatness comes in simply being His child.
The verse continues on to explain what keeps us from being childlike with Him, We have all had individuals in our life that have been our downfall spiritually.... who have offended us. We have been the downfall and have committed the offense to hurt someone else in their walk with Christ.
I think we see being child like in this world a weakness.... and anyone who is attempting to be, we judge and are critical of what they are doing. We cheer on those who we see being self sufficient and in control but beat up and destroy those who are really trying to be HIS child.... We promote self sufficiency like a god and in the process forget the GOD who is really in control. We criticize and harm through our actions and words..... but He says it is better for us to tie a millstone around our neck and drowned in the depth of the sea then offend or be the downfall of a child.
I think we reason that out with thinking that the child mentioned in this verse is really a child, though it is a child in age, it is also a child in HIM. I am His child. You are too!
Watching the kids this weekend play and enjoy being a kid in the summer time with swimming, riding bikes and even helping the grown ups in the task at hand touched my heart. They were happy and free. They knew the boundaries and even when they had the desire to cross the boundaries, they listened to the ones instructing them that this wasn't what was best for them. They remained within them and laughter heard was the evidence in the happiness and freedom they felt. For me, it served as a reminder to me that freedom is found in being HIS kid, even when not understood by the masses that true freedom is from HIM. Listening to HIM in the actions, and know that when He sets a boundary that it isn't to keep me from something better but it is what is best for me.....
I want to be that little girl again, dancing in the waves of the ocean and feeling the sun and wind dancing on my skin, feeling the most alive in doing the dancing.... and living in the freedom of being HIS child.... regardless if understood by the world.... but finding being HIS child is where true living is found.... It is my prayer and my goal..... and may HE help me and may I listen as child does....

Comments
Post a Comment