Stones

When did we start picking up the stones,  looking at them,  looking at the target in front of us and start throwing them because we go to the detail that the sin is different then ours therefore we can throw the stone.

When did a glimpse of Jesus not become enough....  

When did we stop looking at the writing in the sand to see what He was reminding us of.... and continue to look at the target.....

This passage of scripture has grasped my heart for years now....  I use to only look at the passage as a whole and not dissect the details.   But one day it became living to me,  real to me.  

I am being constantly reminded of this passage....  wondering when I picked up the stone and wanted to throw it,  felt justified in throwing it,  becoming the Pharisee or the Scribe.    Not seeing Jesus as the Messiah but looking at only the sinner and wanting to challenge the one that controls it all....  or wanting retribution for the stones that have been thrown at me.   Stones that have damaged the soul, distorted the truth....

Is it because I have been the one in the center of the judgment,  the one that has had all eyes pointed in her direction, with stones tossed with judgment that the thrower didn't mean to hit hard with but wanted me to know they had an opinion?  Not knowing the words that were tossed still made contact and still did damage....

A couple of weeks ago, what came to my mind regarding this passage was there had to be individuals in this crowd that knew the "adulteress", knew her well,  seen her walking the streets in her everyday life,  knew her real name but still choose to accept her title to identify her.  Maybe even shared a meal with her.  Knew her sin and thought it is bigger then mine so I can hold this stone in my hand.   Did some of them even call her friend but when push came to shove chose to lift up a stone of judgment.

Walking as a Pharisee causes us to forget the sound of the dropping of the stones when Jesus called the judgers out....    walking in religion causes to be blind to the writing that is in the sand reminding us all that we are all sinners with no sin being greater then another...

Life seems so overwhelming.... walking with HIM can be such a struggle,   Walking as a Pharisee or someone that claims religion but doesn't practice relationship seems easier because it allows more of our control but it is harsh.   It is damaging to our very core, and puts distance between the one that can write in the sand,   the one that can remind the stone holders there day in the center will come...

I have been victim of the stone tossers and I have watched on the sidelines while I see others toss those stones at people I care about.  Not stepping in because that will place me in the center and I would have to take the hit,  not realizing I take the hit anyway.

My heart is saddened,   I need reminded of His posture toward the one in the center, 

He stooped down....  He didn't pick up stones and start throwing them back,   He simply stooped down to the level of the one in the center and write, without saying a word.  They continued to heckle and make their opinion known.   When He stood, He simply reminded them,  you could be the one here in the center because you have sin,  if you don't agree, then throw that stone of judgment in your hand...

Then stooped back down..... back down to the level of the one accused....

The sound of the stones hitting the ground must have been music to the one in the center... knowing that they heard this man stooped beside them.   Did they question and wonder who is this man that writes in the sand,  who comes to my belly level to help me know I am not alone.  

I long to hear the sound of stones hitting the ground, not being thrown,  even if it is simply the sound of one stone that I drop.  

I don't think He wants it to be a struggle,  I think He wants us to be reminded that even though we have those that hold stones in their hand and are poised in our direction that He is will deal with them,  that he knows them better then anyone and will remind them of their center experience.

Even when they throw the stones of accusation and judgment,  even when they hit target and cause damage,  He reminds that he understands that,  He too was a victim of suffering,  unjust accusations,  beatings,  and crucifixion.    That just as HE rose from this,  we too can be resurrected from the damage of suffering.   Reminded.    He too understands the center experience....

Abba,
My soul hurts from the stones of accusation....
My hands hurt from the grasping and tossing of stones of judgment.
My eyes and ears ring with visions and sounds of accusations both from others and those
that have been released from my mouth.....

My total transparency is to You.....
I desire  your forgiveness....
Your healing....
Your protection.....
Your retribution, yet Your mercy.....

My need for reminding that you heal...
You hear....
You stoop.....  You stoop down to me....
even in stillness, You write.... remind...

My acceptance...  that You love me....
Your understanding of the pain...
Your forgiveness....
Your promise to lift me back up to my feet.
Your gentle reminder to drop the stone.... 

My thankfulness
for it all...
for forgiveness
for Mercy
for your posture of gentleness towards me...
for Your reminders.....

Abba thank You... for hearing my heart.  Knowing me....  Help me when I am in the center to trust you to deal with the stone holder,   and when I am the stone holder, help me to drop the stones and walk either away when I cant say something that is right or to walk towards the center to simply say I am sorry and then to love accordingly......    Heal the broken places.

Your daughter
Ginger
  



Comments

Popular Posts